And a Forest Grew Finished

This last week I have been working on And a Forest Grew.  I am happy to report that I was able to finish it.  Here is the final result:

I have really enjoyed working on this piece.  I have always enjoyed stitching trees which made this design perfect for me.  Also, stitching each tree gave me a sense of accomplishment which encouraged me to continue stitching.  I think that this design uses every shade of green in the DMC pallette to great effect.  Finally, the little pops of color that are seen in the redbirds and the blossoms on some of the trees add a touch of color that really pops out from a distance.  I am so happy with how it has turned out and I will miss working on it.

For the next month or so I am going to work on Winter Sampler by Sandy Orton.  I have decided that I am going to be a “monthly monogamous” stitcher.  What this means is that I plan on working on one project exclusively and will decide at the beginning of each month whether to continue with the project that I have been working on or whether I will change to a new project.  Winter Sampler seems appropriate for now because it will satisfy my growing itch to work on something Christmas-related.  I am interested to see how much of this project I will be able to stitch over the next month or so.

Life has become a little more interesting for me in the last week or so.  I now have some church-related responsibilities that will make it so that I will be unable to stitch a couple of nights each week.  As a result I am not going to make as much progress with things as I have in the past couple of years.

The Forest Continues to Grow

I had hoped to be able to finish And a Forest Grew this month.  After all, I was planning on working on it for two weeks.  There were only four pages left to stitch and my pace was about two pages per week.  What could go wrong?

What did go wrong was a business trip to Norway where I was so busy that I only had minimal stitching time.  To add to the difficulty, my scroll bars were too big to fit in a suitcase, which meant that I had to figure out some way to get good fabric tension while I stitched.  I decided to try using a hoop, which did give me good tension.  However, holding the hoop while I stitched slowed down my progress.  At the end of the first week of October I had only stitched about half a page.

When I returned home I was glad to have my scroll bars back.  At the end of the second week of October I was able to finish the rest of the page I had been working on as well as another page.  This is what my forest looks like now:

Those two pages were fun to stitch.  I love how there are so many different colors there–even including some colors that don’t appear anywhere else in the chart.  I am excited to be close to a finish and am tempted to spend another week working on it.  However, I also don’t want to cheat Autumn Magic of the time that it deserves this month.  So I am going to put this away for now and hope for a finish next month.

 

And a Forest Grew Update

I have been working on And a Forest Grew for the past week.  This is what it looked like before I started working on it:

2017-08-14 20.50.06

In spite of appearances, it actually woudn’t take very long to finish this piece.  At this point there are six pages left to stitch and it takes me three to four days to stitch a page.  So that means that it would take me less than a month to finish.  For this reason I have decided to focus on finishing it.

Here is what it looks like after a week of stitching it:

I was able to stitch two pages.  In the process I finished stitching the large tree and the text that is inside of it.  Most of the other trees that I added are just small trees that seem to be used to fill in some of the empty spaces.  I am looking forward to stitching one of the larger trees that shows up to the right of this area.