And a Forest Grew Update

I have been working on And a Forest Grew for the past week.  This is what it looked like before I started working on it:

2017-08-14 20.50.06

In spite of appearances, it actually woudn’t take very long to finish this piece.  At this point there are six pages left to stitch and it takes me three to four days to stitch a page.  So that means that it would take me less than a month to finish.  For this reason I have decided to focus on finishing it.

Here is what it looks like after a week of stitching it:

I was able to stitch two pages.  In the process I finished stitching the large tree and the text that is inside of it.  Most of the other trees that I added are just small trees that seem to be used to fill in some of the empty spaces.  I am looking forward to stitching one of the larger trees that shows up to the right of this area.

Finish: Pintail

For the past few days I have been working on Pintail.  This is a design that was in the November 1994 issue of For the Love of Cross Stitch.  It is one of a set of four designs that were taken from still lifes of duck decoys that were painted by Judy Gibson.  Donna Vermillion Giampa adapted the paintings for cross stitch.

This is the second of the four designs that I have stitched.  Last year I stitched the Mallard decoy.  This is what it looks like:

Since I had already stitched a large part of Pintail I had a goal to finish it.  I am happy to report that I have finished it:

Based on the pictures in the magazine, this was my least favorite of the four decoys.  I didn’t really like the colors and the duck seemed a bit boring to me.  However, now that I see it stitched I really like it.  It has been a nice easy and fast stitch.

Pintail was stitched on 28 count light mocha Cashel linen using DMC floss.  I started it on 31 May 2017 and finished it on 5 September 2017.  I worked on it for a total of 18 days.