Rotation Change

 I have been working on Our Family Tree for the past couple days.  I am getting close to finishing the tree.  This is what it looks like:

For some reason I am not enjoying working on this piece.  Maybe that is because of my history with it. I originally bought this as a kit with the intention of giving it as a gift to my parents.  I didn’t want to use the Aida cloth that came with the kit, so I bought some linen to stitch it on.  I came to loathe that fabric.  It felt wrong, was fuzzy, and just didn’t look right to me.  I could never finish the piece.

My wife wants me to have it finished for my parents’ fiftieth wedding anniversary, which is in a couple years.   I found the pattern in a book by Stoney Creek and have started over.  I  making good progress but it just doesn’t speak to me as I stitch it and it is a real chore to work on.

I have decided to modify my rotation a little bit.  I am going to stitch on this the first day of the week and then rotate through four other projects.  That should give me enough time to finish it without it being so much of a chore.

It also means that I can add one more piece to my rotation, which means I need to make a decision.

A Prefect Setting Milestone

I have reached milestone in working on A Perfect Setting in that I have finished the bottom half of the piece.

 

I am happy with how this is looking so far and can’t wait to see how things will look when it is completed.  I felt pushed to finish this so much that I delayed changing to the next piece in my rotation to be able to finish it.  I was actually tempted to keep stitching so that I could start the top half.  In the end I decided to now on, knowing that I will be working on this again soon.

Another Start

 I decided that I wanted to have four designs in my rotation, so I have started one more.  This is Autum Magic, which is a Heaven and Earth design based on a painting by Randal Spangler.  I am stitching one-over-one on 25-count fabric.

I saw this about six months ago and really wanted to stitch it.  So I was excited to finally get the chance. I knew that it was a big piece, but didn’t realize how big it really was until I started counting down to the corner from the middle.  This is what it looks like after a week of work:

 

I am feeling ambivalent about this piece.  Stitching over one is a challenge in itself because it is a lot harder to correct mistakes.   Also the threads on the back of the work are much smaller so it is a lot harder to pull thread ends through when you are finished with them.  Using one thread makes it so that you can’t use a loop start and makes it so there are that many more threads to run through the stitches on the back.  Finally, there are places on this piece that are the most confetti-filled that I have ever seen.  All of this slows me down as I stitch.

However, I like how it is turning out so far and can’t wait until I get to the meat of the design to see what it looks like.  It is just going to be a long time before that happens.

 It was the eagle’s turn to be worked on this week.  Compared to the other pieces I am doing, this piece seems to be pretty easy and is stitching up pretty quickly.  I have been able to finish the eagle stitch a large section of the mountains in the background.  Here is what Isaiah 40:31 looks like now:

 
I am really enjoying working on this.  The mountains remind me of Utah which is where my roots are.  I also love the Bible verse that will eventually appear to the lower right of the eagle.

I made so much progress on this that I actually quit working on it early to add another project into my rotation.  I will show that project next week.